Wednesday, March 30, 2011

TCR#51: Happy


The Color Room's blog hop was really fun... Now the room is back to it's regular release. Here's my take on the given palette
Entry #51: Happy
I love the sweet hues, though it was a challenge for me because I seldom use this combination. For this layout I followed the sketch. Let me show you how I did it...
First, I selected the photo I want to work with. It's a 4"x6" (4R) photo that I measured and divided into three (3). Then I inked the edges that will be visible on the layout.
For the background, I brushed a mixture of acrylic paints and drops of red drawing ink that I used to work on my architectural design plates which I have kept for years (since most of the time it's the computer we use for drafting, now-a-days). I colored the paper doily, let dry, then adhered to the base.
I cut 2"x2" strips of assorted patterned papers. Five (5) of each.
I randomly glued each matching the given sketch, let the adhesive dry. Then, I worked on the edge of each strip by hand backstitching with the aid of tracing wheel use in sewing.
For the felt flower, I cut a strip with one side slanted or diagonal, similar to a trapezoid. Then made a shear stitching on the straight side and connected both ends. It will form as a swirl or spiral. For the accent, I added assorted beads on the core of the felt flower.
I was inspired to make my own paper flowers. Glad that I was able to find a tutorial from MagnoliaINK Magazine No.3 2010 (I was able to buy the magazine from a book sale shop). The tutorial is by Johanna. On the tutorial, you'll need double-sided cardstock or a regular cardstock, 3 different sizes of retro punches, brads, mini mister and a sharp object for making holes. However, in my case, I don't have these punches, luckily, I have my Slice machine and Basic 2 DC. I was able to make them since I can re-size a pattern in Slice. Same as the tutorial, I cut 3 small, 3 medium and 4 large flowers. Made holes on each and alternately assemble each piece from small to large flowers securing with a brad. Since I'm using a regular cardstock, I made the small ones facing the back/wrong side, so that when I fold them the patterns will show. Then I sprayed the flower with water using the mini mister until everything is wet enough to work with. I folded and pinch each petals towards the middle until forming a bud. Then, carefully, unfold each petals to form the flower. Let it dry before I decorated them.
The paper flowers will look like these after drying. Then I decorated each with glittered glues.
I love buttons and they are usually part of my layout. Here, I just added strings of crochet threads.
I cut the letters of the title using Slice machine and Basic 2 DC, each using patterned paper and a cardstock to stiffen each. Then I adhere the letters using foam tapes for volume.
For the final touch, I added stickers, twine, ricracks and glittered glues to frame the photo. Finally, the journal writing that says: "Happy to be with someone ...you adore ...you respect ...you love".

TCR Palette #51
Thanks for viewing and have a great weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment