Saturday, July 20, 2013

Sewing: Custom Lace with Simple Hand Embroidery

Finding the right piece for a project could be a challenge especially when you're trying to achieve a particular result in your mind.  As for me, I'm trying to find the right cotton lace for my next project in shops here but I couldn't and I also have a limited budget so I can't go for the costly ones.  Instead, I decided to make my own cotton lace using basic sewing tools and simple hand-embroidery stitches.
First, I prepared my fabric by measuring (1 1/2" x 12" base) and did the scalloped edge.  Since, I left my drafting tools way back home, I borrowed my son's play money coins to make each scallop even.  I applied Fray Check around the base after cutting the excess fabric and let it dry for a bit.  (Note:  Always test bonds on a small piece of your scrap fabric similar to the one your working with before application, just to be sure it will not do anything bad on your project.)
Then, I drew my pattern at the back of the fabric using the same play coins and ruler, before I started making the embroidery. Here are the hand embroidery stitches I used - blanket stitch, back stitch, french knot and lazy daisy.
Finally, I have my own custom cotton lace which I'll be using for my next project.
 Thank you very much and a good weekend to every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment